Top attractions of Leros
1: Archaeological Museum:
2: Belleni’s Museum:
3: The Historical Museum of Emmanouil Isihos
4: The Folklore Museum
5: The Press Museum
6: The Mansions of Kandioglou and Antonello:
7: The War Museum
Read more about the Museums of Leros
Municipal Library: It is housed in the preserved neoclassical building of the Primary Megaron in the central square of Platanos. It works as lending and includes many and rare manuscripts, codes and books as well as a historical record.
Ancient monuments and archaeological sites
Platanos-Agia Marina-Panteli: Brugi the fortress of Roman style on the remains of an ancient city located at the entrance of the harbor of Agia Marina.
Lakki: The white marble Monument at the seafront reminds of the sinking of the Greek fregate “Queen Olga”
during the German raid on September 26, 1943.
Partheni: The ruins of the Temple of Artemis (presumably), in a hide near the airport, where there is also a small church, which refers to literary and epigraphic testimonies. Columns of Hellenistic Age were found here.
In a prominent position in the eastern part of the city, at the bare peak of the hill Apityki, at a height of 300 m, lies the Castle of Leros, the castle of Panagia (Virgin Mary). It is built in the middle of the Byzantine fortress of Leros from the 11th century AD. Excavations here brought to light an ancient tomb of the 7th century BC..
The castle protected the population that was fortified in its interior in cases of pirate and robbery raids. In times of peace and quiet the inhabitants lived in the surrounding houses, of which today we see the ruins of some 180 old homes. Inside the castle is the monastery of Panayia Kyra (1300), with beautiful hagiographies, archaeological and Byzantine-ecclesiastical collection – icons, manuscripts, baptism, epitaph. For the image of Our Lady there are legends and folk traditions.
Monasteries and Churches
Old and remarkable are the Churches of Christ Savior in the area of Platanos, but the church of Agia Paraskevi, which was the old Metropolis of the island, has a greater historical interest.
In Lakki is the church of St. John the Theologian, one of the most prestigious in the Dodecanese,with magnificent mosaics of the 11th century.
In the wider area of Partheni is the church of St. George (10th AD) built with ancient materials, probably from the ruins of the temple of Artemis.
On a seaside location to the north, there is the church of Agia Kioura or Matrona, which is worth seeing for its beautiful hagiographies, made by political prisoners during the 1967-1974 dictatorship and its old icons.
After Kokkali is located the small chapel of Agios Isidoros, built on a rock in the sea. It joins with the land by a narrow, artificial, concrete strip, 50 meters long.
On the seabed next to the rock that houses the chapel, there are remains of an ancient temple.
Further down the coastal road, after passing Gourna, near the place of Drymonas there is the chapel of Panagia of Gourlomata with remarkable hagiographies, built in the 14th century with materials from a dilapidated building of the ancient period.
Near the settlement of Xirokambos is the picturesque church of Panagia Kavouradena, which is considered one of the most beautiful of the island. It is built on the rocks of the coast, in a position where, according to tradition, a fisherman looking for crabs, found in a slit the image of the Virgin Mary. In Xirokampos as well located the Paleokastro a prehistoric fortress.
There are many other Landmarks like the water Mill in Agia Marina, the Italian architectural buildings and villas in Laki especially the Market place the Cinema and the Hotel Leros. In cape Katsouni you can see the fortifications of the Italians who ispired Alistair Mc Lean to write the famous book The island of Navarone.